We all know mastering math from scratch is not a child’s play. You need to cook with the right proportion of concentration, dedication, and skill to adopt the tricky ways to reach to the math solution.
Most of the good practices come after defeating some odds. Similarly, various learning, as well as attention difficulties, creates hurdles in practicing math.
Nowadays, with the evolution of the internet, so many academic help providers are available in the market. The parents can easily acquire MyMathLab answers key for their children in return for some affordable price. But you cannot uproot the distress of the students by doing this.
Though these learning difficulties look similar, one needs to recognize them by their symptoms and treat them differently. The sufferers as well as their parents have to take different strategies and support their kids.
Students with math anxiety
Psychological factors like anxiety play a major role in implementing math skills in the paper. Math is a kind of subject which is greatly affected by the psychological state.
Anxiety is not only about worrying. It is a reaction that causes a series of physical distress including heart palpitation, fast breathing, and sweating.
The math anxiety even makes a brilliant student freeze during a math quiz competition or even an online math test.
Students suffering from math anxiety misread the questions; they cannot calculate correctly, cannot match the pace of the online live exam sessions. The unexplainable stress of the students is responsible for their careless mistakes.
The students with math anxiety usually perform well in the homework than in the assessments with a time limit.
3 useful steps to combat math anxiety & solve math with fun
Apprehend the Problem-
At first; understand the problem, what is being asked to you. If you cannot apprehend the root of the problem, you may go on the wrong track to solve the issue.
Prepare a Strategy-
Once you reach to the core of the problem; prepare a strategy to plan in your mind in what way you reach to the end.
Continue and Execute Your Plan-
After you prepare your strategy, hold its ground, continue to carry forward and execute your plan until you crack the solution of the problem.
Effects of math anxiety in the student’s performance
This mismatch between knowledge and grades is very discouraging for math students. In the worst scenarios, a student grows strong aversion against math. Eventually, they harbour negativity towards the school, college and universities. They even avoid attending the online math class.
This distress is generally responsible for the poor performance of the students. But the students can escape from this distress in a smart way. They can seek MyMathLab answers key from trustworthy websites like buyonlineclass to solve the math problems correctly.
Children suffering from Dyscalculia
Some students also suffer from dyscalculia which creates trouble in calculating the correct math answers. They face hurdles to sum out the basic arithmetic and even to learn the different math facts.
How does Dyscalculia create difficulties in math?
i. This disease leaves an impact on the estimation ability as well as the spatial reasoning of the students. So, they are incapable of measuring proper size, identify the symbol, and make comparative judgments.
ii. The students who have trouble with the number sense cannot understand how to use them flexibly to solve problems. Due to this, they fail to compare the quantities and distinguish between the smallest vs. biggest.
iii. Some dyscalculia sufferers may identify the logic behind a math problem. But they blank out and cannot understand how to apply a method to solve it.
So, what will a student of dyscalculia do to solve the math problems?
The calculator is the magic wand for them. It is a logical solution as well. Dyscalculia will create difficulties to conduct addition, subtraction and calculations correctly. The students may find the calculator the best operators to perform this task with accuracy.
Other strategies to try to beat this disability-
- The parents have to take the initiative to help their children overcome this disability by engaging themselves in several fun activities.
- These kinds of math students need to explore various software, chrome tools and apps.
- They must be engaged in kitchen activities where measurement is necessary like baking.
- They also need to be explored to the multisensory techniques for making the abstract concepts of math more concrete.
Learners who are suffering from Dyslexia
It is a distress and a different process in the brain where the students tend to flip the letter, shapes and numbers.
They also reverse the numbers and mix up the order. For instance, while copying a multi-digit number, they may drop a digit or add another one which did not exist before.
What kind of problems the students with Dyslexia face in math?
- Students having Dyslexia sometimes need to re-read a paragraph many times to understand. They involve in spoken and written information.
- They cannot process the math keywords in their minds. The sufferers face trouble to translate key math phrases and terms into numbers or sentence.
- It is already stated that students with dyslexia reverse numbers and letters. This problem does not occur because of poor vision. It happens because the struggling students are confused about the position of the symbols in a blank space, like on the paper.
- The poor memory of the Dyslexia students leads to switching or transporting the order of the numerical figures.
What are the Strategies to try for defeating this math distress?
- Read out loud the word problems directions for your child.
- The parents encourage talking through their problems.
- The parents can also state out the reason loud and help them saying the equation and solution before summing it out.
To conclude, it is worth noting that many students inherit these learning difficulties like math anxiety from their parents. In the US and UK, it is considered a culturally accepted way to discuss these problems and the aversion towards the subject.
It is also a worth point to keep in mind that many students suffer from multiple attention and learning issues. If anyone’s child is suffering from co-occurring difficulties, then they must be diagnosed and treated differently. Hope, this blog will guide you to learn the possible causes of these math distress and take proper strategies to flush them out.